Flore Parish Council Website

Council information source & community portal

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

About our village

Flore is an attractive and interesting village, much valued by its residents. It is
built on a south facing hillside sloping down to the River Nene which forms the
southern boundary of the parish. It is in a rural setting surrounded by arable
fields and pasture land, lying 7 miles west of Northampton, 5 miles east of
Daventry and 9 miles north of Towcester. It is bisected by the A45, and due
to the proximity of junction 16 of the M1 (1! miles to the east) and the A5 (3/4
mile to the west) there is a constant flow of traffic through the village. The
Grand Union Canal is situated ! mile south of Flore and the village is
traversed by the Macmillan Way and The Nene Way footpaths. The nearest
train stations are Northampton and Long Buckby. Good access by road and
rail has made Flore popular with commuters.

The origin of the name Flore is the subject of much debate, and has included
a Roman pavement, a Saxon threshing floor and even a Roman goddess or
British maiden. The spelling has varied through the ages – flor, Flora, Flower,
Floore, and since 1945 standardised as Flore.

The environment of the village is rich in history; the area has had settlements
since pre-Neolithic times. Mesolithic, Neolithic, and Iron Age artefacts have
been found. Numerous Roman villas have been investigated in Flore and
adjacent parishes. Earthworks between Flore House, the Church and the Mill
indicate that the early village was in that area, but there is no documentary
evidence of this before the Domesday Book. During the 16th and 17thC Flore
became prosperous from the sale of wool. The population has fluctuated over
the centuries: according to estimates based on the Domesday Book the
village had a population of 195 in 1086. The 2001 census revealed that it has
grown to over 1150.

The present pattern of lanes probably dates from Saxon times. The earliest
houses were of timber, wattle and daub, and thatch. There are a few houses
built in this fashion still in the village, the best preserved of which is Adams
Cottage, 8-10 King’s Lane. No.8 was the first Quaker Meeting House in the
county. It was converted from a barn in 1678. All Saints Church dates from
the 13thC. Flore House, the largest and most prestigious dwelling, was
constructed in the seventeenth century. A non-conformist church was begun
in the 17thC on the site in Chapel Lane which is now occupied by the United
Reformed Church, the present building dating from 1880.The Old School House and Reading Room (now the Scout Hall) in King’s
Lane recall the origins of formal education in the village.

The first building on the primary school site dates from 1852. The stocks and lock-up stood on The Green until it was enclosed in 1834 and they were demolished. The village well and pound were on Ram Bank which remains as an open space, as does the Town Yard further down Sutton Street. Some twenty substantial stone and thatch houses (1895 see map 1) were built between 1690 and 1720 for the more prosperous yeoman farmers. Each of these houses had up to three acres of land. These home closes remained as orchards until living memory, but most have now been developed. The farmhouses are now residences, although Meadow Farm in Bliss Lane is still a working farm.

In the early nineteenth century many of the cob houses in and around Sutton
Street and The Green were replaced by brick and slate dwellings. Many of
these terraces have been cleared leaving important, large open spaces and
gardens behind the roadside cottages. There was no development of the
north side of the main road – except for three houses – until after the
enclosures of 1779 when several farms were built in the newly enclosed
fields. The development of Hillside Road and Brockhall Road took place after
1918 and now about a third of the village dwellings are north of the main road.

There are 46 Grade II listed buildings in the village, approximately 10% of all
dwellings. Flore was almost wholly dependent on farming until the 19thC when the barracks and Ordnance Depot were opened at Weedon, bringing a new source of employment and benefiting the craft industries of the village –
blacksmith, wheelwright, baker and whip maker – as well as the shops and
pubs; there were originally seven beer houses. Drovers used only The Royal
Oak, which had a field for stock. The Mill, one of two mentioned in the
Domesday Book, was rebuilt in 1780, but ceased milling a century later.

The community supports various youth groups, social groups and leisure
activities. The Millennium Hall, the playing field and its pavilion, the school,
Chapel Schoolroom and the Scout Hall are all used by local organisations.
Proceeds from the annual Flower Festival go to the upkeep of the church and
chapel. The village has, sadly, recently lost its Health Centre which is now
being used as a children’s nursery. The veterinary practice has also gone.
We are, however, fortunate to retain our village shop/post office, garage/petrol station and two public houses.

 

 

 

 

Download:

Flore Design Statement (PDF) - read more about our design statement, see maps and information about the village and its history.

(you will need adobe acrobat to read the document, click here to download the program if you can't access the documents)

 

 

Flore Festival held annually displayed (above) in the chapel.

 

© Flore Parish Council 2011, all rights reserved. | Privacy Statement| Contact the council: Email: clerk@floreparishcouncil.co.uk | Tel: +44 (01327) 341057